Healers first wrote about mold allergies more than 300 years ago; doctors and pharmacists now use advanced methods to create mold allergy treatment.
About 96 percent of all chronic sinusitis is the result of mold, according to a landmark 1999 study by the Mayo Clinic. In a 2012 study, researchers examined 289 homes and 36 types of mold and discovered that infants and young children who had been exposed to mold in the home had an increased risk of developing asthma by the time the children turned 7-years-old.
Mold is a type of fungus, which can grow nearly anywhere. Outdoor mold plays an important role in breaking down dead leaves, plants, and trees. Mold thrives on moisture and prefers dark, stagnant locations. This type of fungus reproduces by sending tiny, lightweight spores through the air.
Sometimes these spores land on damp spots in homes or buildings. Mold can get inside through open doors, windows, vents, and heating and air conditioning systems. Clothing, shoes, bags, and even pets can bring mold indoors.
Once inside, mold can begin to grow in exposed and in hidden areas – anywhere there is moisture. Mold can grow around leaks in windows, roofs, pipes, or anywhere there has been a flood. This type of fungus can also take hold in dust, wallpaper, paints, drywall, carpet, fabric, insulation, and upholstery.
Mold growing on exposed surfaces can be released into the air, where it can spread to other parts of the house. Airborne mold is easily inhaled.